Sunday, February 17, 2008

Newspaper closings!

One of the traditional ways of disseminating information has been print newspapers. These have been around for a long time. The morning newspaper has seemed like an impregnable fortress of everyday reality, stable and homey like apple pie and ice cream. But they might not be with us much longer. Over the past couple of years I have heard of many layoffs and closings. The King County Journal in Kent, WA., the Dayton Daily News in Ohio, the Mercury News in San Jose, CA., and the Toledo Blade in Ohio are just a few of the latest casualties - either closing, laying off employees, or losing lots of money in trying to stay afloat. Newspaper circulation has decreased yearly over the past 15 years (National Press, 2006).

In an effort to stop the bleeding, newspapers have been forced to go online to capture readers. Younger generations are getting more and more of their news information from the Internet. In Scotland, scientists are even developing a device like an iPod that can be used to download newspapers, so one can read a morning paper from a computer the size of a paperback book (National Press, 2006). Personally, I mourn the impending loss of print newspapers. I guess I have an emotional attachment to reading news, or anything for that matter, in the print form. Oh sure, the Internet is more current and up-to-date. What you read in the paper is old news by Internet standards. And you can reach many more people via online newpapers. But I wonder how many people really enjoy relaxing on Sunday morning in their easy chair or at their kitchen table, trying to read indepth editorials from a computer screen? Reading from a computer tends to be quick and superficial. Just my opinion, of course. Changes happen and you can't live in the past. This is an issue information professionals have to deal with - how to spread information in ways that are both informative and user-friendly.

Our local newspaper, The Daytona Beach News-Journal, now has blogs, podcasts, and videos in their online version. Our local population must feel like I do, because the News-Journal has been advertising their arrival in full-page ads for the last several months in their print newpaper. They must be having a hard time getting people's attention. Come to think of it, there are a lot of retired folks around here.....


References:

National Press Photographers Association. (2006). Newspaper closings, layoffs, buyouts, and the future. Retrieved from http://www.nppa.org/news_and_events/news/2006/12/newspapers.html.

5 comments:

Bubbly Bibliophile said...

I agree with you that I like to actually read the newspaper. Unfortunately, we live in an instant society and by the time I get the paper, I have already gotten all the details of the news. I think for newspapers to survive, they need to change what they do. I rarely read the front section, and opt for the local, real estate and advertisement sections.

dlizard said...

Problem. I don't usually read the newspaper unless their is something special or out of the ordinary. I usually catch things on the news. I do prefer siting and reading to reding off the computer. But when it comes to current and up-to-date facts. I can go on the website on my laptop or cell phone and read what happened 2 seconds ago.

Maureen said...

I have been having this perpetual discussion with friends and coworkers for awhile now... will newspapers survive?

I personally love reading the Sunday paper and books. I am interested in trying Kindle, but am not overly enthusiastic about reading on a computer screen. However, I have adapted well to Books on CD & Ipod.

I believe that the transference of information is undergoing a transformation. It is influenced by what the person receiving the info is used to. It is not difficult for a generation that grew up with technology to receive their information in visual formats such as television, computers, podcasts, satellite radio, RSS, etc.

Yet I think there will be those that still enjoy books, magazines, and newspapers for awhile. There is undoubtedly a decline in newspaper circulation... and I think Donn is right about the lack of currency of facts (we are a more instantaneous society now). Yet I think there will just be less newspapers in circulation and more of a conglomeration or domination by a few, and the smaller ones will fold since they won't be making money.

Richelle Rininger said...

I think that it is sad that newspaper are going to the wayside. There are so many people that come to the library that I work at to read the newspaper(s). It would be a real shame for these people to have to learn how to access the newspaper online and not have the luxury of seating in a comfortable chair, relax and read the paper.

Ken said...

I'm not 100% sold on e-books. I like having a book in my hand. Although, I've tried a Kindle and I actually liked it.

I prefer electronic newspapers, though. My news aggregator is completely magical to me. I don't have use for the print once I've read it so I think it produces a lot of waste that is unecessary. Not only that, but I like for the news to pop up in my face. Otherwise, I get too caught up in other things and never know what's going on.

Recently, I house sat for my mother and took care of her dog. A neighbor called me concerned that no one was caring for the dog when he noticed my mom's newspapers piling up. It hadn't even occurred to me to get the paper - I've always used e-papers.